This idea was stolen from one of my heroes – My oldest sister Rebecca. Check out her blog at http://frifflethoughts.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/things-im-thankful-for-the-schmuck-list/ for the original “Shmuck list.” It’s called the “Shmuck List” because these are things I am specifically thankful for but may mean nothing to you. And that’s totally OK. It’s essentially, “The little things.”
So, to not totally rip off my sister’s genius I’ve decided to call my list, “The Little Things” version 2012.
This list is more a reflection of the year 2012 than an exhaustive list of blessings. It’s easy for me to mention “faith, family, and friends” around the Thanksgiving Table but if you really wanna know — this list below is how God used all of those things to make the year 2012 what it was for me. So, without further ado:
The Little Things (v.2012)
All your works shall give thanks to you, O LORD, and all your saints shall bless you! – Psalm 145:10
- Training for and running a 20K by myself–I proved to myself that, by God’s grace, I really can be disciplined even though I struggle with laziness and absent-mindedness.
- The conversation John and I had a few weeks ago which so clearly showed that God is uniting our hearts to the same end for our future, even when we neglect to talk to each other about it.
- Sunday afternoon cat naps with Clara.
- Sprinkles, buy one get one deals – Best cupcakes I have ever tasted. Ever.
- Sharing Venti Cookie Crumble Frappucinos at Starbucks with John during the summer (and consequently watching John’s eyes bug out from all the sugar)
- The generosity of family who made it possible for me to fly home for my grandma’s 80th birthday celebration in August.
- Listening to my grandma tell stories, especially about her youth and how grandpa Joe was “the best of men.” (I also like getting some dirt on mom 😉 )
- Being called a “wordsmith.” One of my favorite titles I hold at work, and one I would like to take with me wherever I go.
- Finally making and completing my wedding book via Shutterfly. And crying with happiness as a I re-lived it and realized I love him more now than I did 3 years ago.
- Holding a 2-day old beautiful baby girl. Daphne Lane you are a treasure!
- Short, 30 minute commutes. And good friends to call during the hour-long ones.
- Hugging a friend at the airport when we dropped her off to fly to her dad’s funeral. Knowing I can’t make it better but I can still be a friend.
- Coming home to 3 dozen roses and a sweet note of encouragement from my best friend on our 3-year anniversary.
- Instagram. 🙂
- Nights consisting entirely of Top Gear or Assassin’s Creed, and Blue Bell ice cream.
- Me, John, my sister and bro-in-law running on the beach in January. Slowly being whittled away by the sand flying into our freezing faces. Jealous? You should be.
- Going to my first-ever MLB game and tasting my first-ever MLB hotdog with all the fixins!
- Wednesday morning accountability and prayer with Mallory. Refreshes my soul every time and the coffee is always excellent.
- John and I giggling like idiots over funny-sounding Hebrew words at the end of a long day.
- Leading and learning so much through the women in my seminary wife group and the other group facilitators.
- Fests. 🙂
- Psalm 62 — My Summer Psalm that turned into my Yearly Psalm to memorize. Lord-willing I’ll have it down by January 1, 2013!
- Phone calls with grandma.
- Dancing completely alone on the dance floor at the reception of a beloved friend’s wedding. A bridesmaid’s gotta do what a bridesmaid’s gotta do… and I was happy to do it! There is video proof. 😉
- Successfully surprising and kidnapping Lauren for her birthday, and the epic girls night that followed involving Oreo balls and a ton of laughter.
- The accent wall I painted in our home. Another moment of “Yay! I actually did it!”
- John’s impressions of me and of Clara. Ridiculous.
- This blog. A place to store my plethora of sideways, inside out thoughts — and publish a select few.
- Calling my sister and waking her up because texting was not going to suffice to relay my excitement of being an aunt for the second time 🙂
- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. – Hebrews 13:9
Don’t ever let me tell you that I need more. God is so faithful!